Sunday, May 5, 2013

Where the wild things are

As I continue to hike this trail, I begin to notice a change in my body. It is as if I am changing, morphing into a beast of the wild; my feet and hands concede to the dirt that relentlessly tries to find its way into my shoes and socks, I pee on the brush that lines the trail, my face is growing the hair that was never allowed to stand taller than a 5 o'clock shadow, and my arms have lengthened so that I may walk on four limbs. Four limbs? In the last week, I have adapted to use my poles with every step I take. They have become a part of me. They maintain my momentum even when my energy begins to fizzle out. They literally hold me up and keep my face from meeting the jagged earth. They help me plan, feel, and see each step. Click clack. They are my support. Click clack. They are of me. I am a beast of the Californian wild! RRRAAAWWWRRR!

-Ry

No comments:

Post a Comment